|A lot of people attended the Private View|
the Society is currently enjoying real momentum, thanks very largely to the efforts of recent Presidents. I think it is really important to maintain that momentum.The Exhibition was opened by The Right Honourable Michael Portillo who entertained the very large numbers at the PV with his speech.
|The Right Honourable Michael Portillo opens|
The 118th Annual Exhibition of The Pastel Society 2017
at the Private View on Monday.
On the right is Jeannette Hayes, the new President of the Pastel Society
Exhibition metrics - and the Open Entry
First some numbers for the benefit of those hoping to exhibit at future exhibitions.
There are 271 works in the exhibition
So far as the OPEN ENTRY is concerned..
OPEN ENTRY: 785 works were submitted by non-members for this Open Exhibition
- 100 artworks selected from the open entry by 69 non-members
- The ratio of members' work to non-members is 63:37
- The average number of paintings per non-member artist selected is 1.4.
- A number have two works selected
- Those who are serious contenders to become full members have 3 or 4 works selected meaning that the majority of exhibiting non-members only have 1 artwork selected.
- Open entries selected for exhibition: percentage selected is 12.7%. meaning...
- Most artists have somewhere between 5-10% chance of getting an individual entry selected - based on fact some artists have 2 or 3 works selected.
- (Comparison: RA Summer Exhibition - chance of getting a work selected = 6.2-6.6%)
- Probably the best way of improving your chances of getting selected is submitting more than one very good artwork in eligible media
I forgot to ask how many entries were received but will do that so I can highlight what percentage of entries were selected for the exhibition. [UPDATE: Now received and added in above]
Changes in the Gallery
The changes in the exhibition are subtle but incrementally they add up to a pleasing change in content.